CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT ONLINE
See below for details
CALYX, A Journal of Art and Literature by Women, accepts submissions of poetry, short fiction, visual art, essays, reviews, and interviews annually from October 1 - December 31. We are always open for submissions of art and book reviews.
In order to remain independent CALYX Journal has made the difficult decision to charge a submission/reading fee beginning in the fall of 2012. This fee is necessary to offset our costs and to allow us to maintain the exceptional quality of work that CALYX Journal is known for.
Fees are $5.00 general and $3.00 student/low income per submission. Our online submission manager will automatically direct you to our PayPal account; if you are submitting via mail please include the fee with your submission. Submissions without payment will not be considered.
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to reading your work.
The writer/artist guidelines are as follows:
- Prose (includes essays, flash fiction, short stories, etc.) should be double-spaced and not exceed 5,000 words.
- Poetry submissions are limited to 6 poems. When submitting through our online submission manager, please put all poems into the same document (.doc, .docx, .txt, .pdf).
- Interviews should be double-spaced and limited to 2,500 words. Please send query to firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting.
- Book Reviews if you are interested in reviewing books, please send a resume and published samples of review writing to email@example.com. After reviewing these, we will contact you about the book review list. Reviews should be double-spaced and from 500 to a maximum of 1,000 words. Reviews of chapbooks should be limited to 50-100 words. We’re always open for book reviews. Please see complete book review guidelines here.
Books for review should be sent to PO Box B, Corvallis, OR 97339. These copies will be made available to our book reviewers.
- Visual Art should be submitted (1) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org; (2) on a CD; or (3) 5"x7" or 8"x10" glossy photographs. Limit of 6 images and/or slides and/or photos. All art media are considered and diverse approaches are encouraged.
Please include a list of all titles, media, and dimensions for each piece; a 50-word biographical statement; and a 50-word statement about your artwork with your submission along with your contact information (address, phone number, and email). Submit art separately from prose and poetry. Please see complete art submission guidelines here.
Online submissions (preferred): please include a 50-word bio statement in the “comments” field. Upload your document as a .doc, .docx, .pdf, or .txt and include your name, email, and address on each page. Submit poetry and prose separately. Click here to submit work through our online submissions manager.
Postal submissions: We will continue to accept paper submissions this year, but we prefer that you submit electronically to help us reduce waste. When sending paper submissions, include a 50-word bio statement; SASE; and please include your name, address, phone, and email on each page of your submission.
Send materials to:
PO Box B
Corvallis, Oregon 97339
CALYX assumes no responsibility for submissions received without adequate return postage, packaging, or proper identification labels. CALYX can respond to submission queries accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope or by email through our online submission manager. Every effort is made to respond to submissions in a timely manner, but CALYX receives a large number of submissions when open, and it may take six to eight months to read and review everything received.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If you would like to withdraw your entire submission, please log in to the Submission Manager system and click "withdraw." If you would like to withdraw only a part of your submission, please notify us by email and include your name, the title/genre of your submission, and which poem(s) are still available if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
A contributor’s payment for publication in CALYX Journal includes copies of the issue (re pages published in Journal) and a one-volume subscription following that issue.
Sample copies of CALYX Journal are available for $10. plus $4.00 postage (U.S.) and handling; see subscription information or front page of CALYX Journal or write us for subscription information.
CALYX Books is currently closed for book manuscripts.